Wednesday 27 April 2011

Leg room? The the least of your problems....
Many of my fellow low-costers complain about the leg room available on planes. Come on, quit whinging. Don't you like playing middle-aged sardines?
Never one to follow any trend, leg room isn't one of my grumbles. Torso room, however, is. Never mind the length, what about the width?
To be a modern low-coster you need the flexibility of an Olympic gymnast - and eyes in the back of your head. On a recent flight I'd settled down into my usual routine.
Seatbelt on - check. Book open at relevant page - check. Coffee ordered from trolley-person - check. Tray down, on which to rest said coffee and book - check. Eyes in the back of my head scanning the aisle behind me - err, no.
Result? Coffee, released from its styrofoam jail, in left hand. Lift cup to mouth. Shift elbow 20mm into aisle to enable liquid to reach mouth - and have flight attendant knock elbow. Coffee on book, tray and trousers. Comment from said flight attendant?
"You really must be more careful, sir."
I think it was the "sir" that got to me. Just a little too much emphasis on that single little word. Nothing at all to do with the fact that he'd knocked me.
Sorry really is the hardest word.

No comments:

Post a Comment